photo taken by Gracie
Yesterday was pretty low key. We mainly hung around our friends home (who were so nice to let us stay). There was a HUGE storm that came through the valley yesterday. I forgot that snow doesn't stop Utahans from going out. Doug and I headed out for a quick bite to Cafe Rio and then on to the BYU bookstore to get our kid some souvenirs.
It has been years since we had seen some other residency friends (Charley and Audrey) He recently hooked up with a practice in Park City. The six of us met up for dinner in Heber at the Mountain Side Grill. As you can see the boys sat at one end to "talk shop" (aka orthopedic work) Is that all they know what to talk about? Ha.
The three of us girls sat and talked about a variety of things. It was so great to pick up where things were before. I only wish Angie and Bridget were there to join us like old times--maybe 2009?

Almost zero visibility looking out the airport window...crazy!
Today the storm hit the Salt Lake Valley and it literally dumped a ton of snow. Doug and I were anxious to get home due to bad weather, missing our kids (we are wimps), and to relief our friends from a house full of children. I couldn't belief how crowded the Salt Lake airport was this morning. We opted the standby route which I LOATHE. I have done it a few times before and say this every time.....I won't do it again! Long story short, there was one opening to get onto our connecting flight to Denver. I took it and Doug stayed behind to get on the flight we were already securely on. Once I got to Denver there was one earlier flight. I thought for sure I was hosed and would have to sit and wait to catch our original flight at 7:45pm. Luckily, I got on the plane by the skin of my teeth.
(I must add very impressed by the efficiency it went quite fast)
The bummer part was my womanly "friend" came, so I was seriously ill. On top of that I was severely nauseated from the plane. Apparently I get travel sickness now, because it was bad. I was pretty much a mess (feeling terrible I was spending my last day of freedom alone without Doug), looked like crap, felt like crap and hadn't eaten all day. Okay, enough complaining. I made it home FINALLY around 6:45pm to find out they lost our luggage. Surprisingly, I didn't care and am hoping it will be on Doug's flight (coming in about 30 minutes from now). I was just thrilled to be home in the warm (75 degree weather) and hugging my kiddos!
Angie picked me up and I was so happy that she was in good spirits and didn't hate my children--ha. Really I am kidding. She is the biggest saint. She not only had my kids bathed, but had done all of their laundry and made their lunches for school tomorrow. I can't thank her and Greg enough, but let it be known I am in some serious debt. She hopefully will be getting induced on Wednesday, and most likely (fingers crossed) will close on their new house by the end of next week. All and all it was a fabulous getaway, but a lesson I learned is no more connecting flights! Non-stop all the way!!
21 comments:
What a time. I wish I could see the pictures but it isn't letting me....darn it. I bet you are so happy to be home. Especially in that warm weather. :D I'm not one for snow either.
Angie is the greatest. How sweet of her to have all of that done for you. That is the best!! I hope you can rest tomorrow from such a hectic travel day.
I hate when your traveling with the womanly friend. I'm glad despite going standby you were able to get home even if it was without doug. What a bummer that must have been. I've done standby once and will never do it again. Too many things go wrong when you actually have tickets so when you don't you have no hope.
It was fun seeing you and it looks like you and doug had a great anniversary.
What a crazy day & most of it w/o your hubby! I don't enjoy flying, so we only do non-stop flights even if it costs more. And geesh it's even worse when you're feelin' like total crap. Hope you're feeling better now that you're home! What a sweet friend to take care of your kids & being so close to delivering! She sounds amazing!!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
At least your friend didn't come while you were on top of the mnt. You would have turned the snow pink slidding on you rear so much.
Glad your home safe and sound. I bet your kids missed their great Mom.
So glad you are home safe. I am hoping for smooth travels on Thursday.
Hooray for Angie! What a great friend. There is nothing worse than being done with a vacation and trying to get home to your kids. Thank goodness you made it home without further delays. It sounds like you and Doug had a great trip.
wow!!! what a weekend you had.
I was thinking about you, and hoping that you were able to get home ok, do all the snow.
Enjoy being home with your family and take Angie out to dinner. What a great friend:)
Wow, what a trip! I had some serious travel sickness for about a year or two, and then it went away. Gotta remember to take the dramamine, it totally puts me to sleep but it works!
That is so nice that Angie watched the kids and did all the little extras for you! I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities to pay her back when her baby arrives! :)
I'm so glad you are back home and that whole mess of traveling is over for you. Sorry to hear about the womanly friend. That is never good.
The worst part of traveling is the traveling...I agree with you that nonstop flights are the way to go and unfortunately, sometimes worth the extra cash. So glad you got home safe and sound and had a fun trip! There is nothing like coming home after being away - Kudos to Angie for helping you out!
The Break-Up was funny, a little depressing, but funny nonetheless! You are the sneaky one zooming in on that!
Talk at you lata :-)!
Angie is a saint! I'm so glad you guys got away and I'm sure you'll repay her with all that she has going on in the next couple weeks.
I am not a good traveler, I get 'air' sick almost every time I fly. I'm glad you made it home. There is nothing like the 'home' feeling once you've been away. Good luck getting back into the daily grind.
The flight/travel sounds awful, but sounds like it was fun to get away and see old friends. Funny how your miss your kids, isn't it? I never think I will, but that mother-instinct just kicks in and makes you desperate the last twelve hours to JUST GET HOME.
So nice to talk this am. Seeing the pics of you, Steph, and Audrey made me a little sad. I miss you all tons. Everyone looks great, even little Mitchy. :)
Glad you had a nice little get away with Doug. You now need to do it more often. Just a night or two away always makes me feel so refreshed. :)
Welcome back! Despite the crazy travel days I hope that the trip was well worth it!
I am glad that you made it home safe, and sound. Salk Lake is still getting hit with snow! It looks like you, and Doug had a great time! So nice to be able to get away.
We had our first get-away when Alyssa was five months old and we came home early too. Things are quite different now, it's sometimes hard to go home!
Connecting flights can definitely be a pain. Glad you're home safely and that you had a good time.
i am sad for you b/c i hate to even be on a flight if scott and i are not sitting together so i am sure it was yucky for you.
i don't like connections and i have never done stand by but i know i wouldn't like it! yuck. your story is exactly why i won't!
clean kids, laundry and lunches? oh my goodness- wow!!!!!!!
that is amazing that angie did all of that and is ready to have baby gordon soon. you are lucky to have each other.
I agree... nonstop flying is the way to go.
I'm glad you both made it home safe. We are wimps about leaving our kids too. It is way hard for me.
I'm sorry I missed you... I hope you will be back soon!
Wow, I'm amazed you took an earlier flight! I'd have been too chicken to go without my hubby!
So great of Angie to take your kids like that at the very end of her pregnancy!!!
I always try to remember the "vacation" and not the getting to and fro the vacation. I'm so glad you got to see your old friends. Utah is such a great place as at least someone you know is there,plus all those great blogging friends you got to meet! Love the husband picture of everyone laughing! So fun - and I've totally been just where you are with your traveling woes and unwelcome friend! Hope your doing well!
I always try to remember the "vacation" and not the getting to and fro the vacation. I'm so glad you got to see your old friends. Utah is such a great place as at least someone you know is there,plus all those great blogging friends you got to meet! Love the husband picture of everyone laughing! So fun - and I've totally been just where you are with your traveling woes and unwelcome friend! Hope your doing well!
Post a Comment