Monday, January 01, 2007

Goodbye 2006

We have experience and been blessed in so many ways in 2006. I thought I would reflect upon some hightlights. We went on more mini trips in one year than we ever have (although paying for it now). They were worth every penny! Doug was allowed to moonlight a major blessing for the survival of our family. He lost over 30 pounds in 4 months thanks to healthy eating and exercise. I started a blog for our family and have rekindled old friendships and gained several new ones. I learned what it is to send "good mail." I finished nursing a baby for the last time. Taylor remained on the A honor roll all year and continues to be a HUGE helper. She lost several teeth and can use a computer better than I! Jared learned to read and write sentences. Luke began to talk (maybe more than we all would like) He is good at voicing his opinion and doesn't let anything or anyone slide in our family. It's fun to see my boys get older play together and fight all at the same time. Weston learned to walk, run, use utencils and now carry on a conversation. I would have to say 2006 was a good year for us, but I am excited to see what is in store for 2007.

The Matern's left this morning on their last stretch to New Orleans. I have to comment about Richard's shirt. Luke being very observant and notices EVERYTHING, told Richard he stole his daddy's shirt. It was pretty funny. He kept trying to tell him it was his shirt, but I am not sure he was sold on the idea. Luke had a special bonding with him the past 48 hours. Doug was in heaven because he had another person to bug. Hopefully, he didn't bug too much. Thanks Richard for being a sport and playing with my kids. They loved it!

We mostly hung out the rest of the day. Tonight we had FHE to start off the year on a good note. I didn't really have a lesson planned, but came upon this story. It was such an inspiration, it not only brought tears to my eyes, but I think I try and actually do it. I read it outloud to my kids and Doug. I started thinking about some of my New Years resolutions. I don't have a huge list, because if I do that I personally get overwhelmed. And if they aren't realistic goals are a waste for me. I have 10 for sure.

1. Strive to be a more patient mom
2. Be a good listener and more in tune with the spirit.
3. Read scriptures at least 3 times a week or a talk from the Ensign.
4. Do a good deed once a day for someone (that's 365--I really hope I can do it!)
5. Tackle my neglected scrapbook that has been set aside due to blogging.
6. Finish at least one book ( I know pathetic--but I have started like 5!)
7. Strive to do individual prayers
8. Do more with my kids.
9. Try and not complain as much about things.
10. Remember the blessings I get each and every day.

Hello 2007, I can't wait to see what you have in store for me!

*good deed: wrote a thankyou letter

16 comments:

Tasha said...

That's a great article! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Buffy said...

What a great post! I have to say ditto to many of your new goals. I love the read scriptures 3 times a week. I can understand that goal. Best wishes to your family for a Happy New Year!!
Your family picture is so cute.

andrea said...

I just read the Ensign article. That is definitely the direction I am taking this year. I have tried to be more kind to others that I associate with and I can't believe the difference it has made in my life. I am much happier when I'm serving others. How cool to do something every day!

sista # 2 said...

Thanks for posting the article. Simple, but true! I feel it is especially important to be extra kind to those little friends who come over to play or spend any amount of time at our home. It may be the only love they get to feel that day! and I KNOW they notice!
-ciao

Amy said...

Good list, Jenny! I'm still coming up with mine. I'm giving myself 'til the weekend when I get my life back after living in a state of semi-unreality for the last three weeks (vacation, Christmas, visitors, etc. . . .) Good luck for the new year in meeting your goals and becoming the person you want to be.

becca said...

I just printed the story and am going to go read it now...love your goals...I need to write mine down so I am forced to look at them!

Liz said...

Jenny, that story is so inspiring! I'm glad that you found it and posted it for us!! I think I'd like to try to take on that challenge. I like all of your goals, I think those could match several of mine as well! Happy New year!!

Angie said...

Great article. Like I told you yesterday I didn't really make a ton of goals but my #1 is to be more paitent. I feel if I can somehow strnghten this characteristic then all of the other things I want to do and want to be will be much easier. Great lists. I love the 365 things you will be doing for others.

Donna said...

Thanks for sharing the article. it was great.
Cute picture of your family.

Jill said...

Starting multiple books at the same time is dangerous. I try to always finish the ones I start unless I think they're hopeless or not worth it.

Thanks for the Ensign article!

Anonymous said...

Cute family picture! Love that AZ scenery in the background! Thanks for sharing this article -- I really enjoyed it. I did something like that for a few weeks in college, and it made such a difference for me. I don't know why I don't make the effort to do that all the time. You've inspired me to try, thanks!

Kristen said...

All of the pictures you post are so great!
Loved that article, I would love to try to do that. It reminds me of the song, "Have I done any good in the world today, have I helped anyone in need, have I cheered up the sad or made someone feel glad, if not I have failed indeed"!
Thanks for inspiring me with some great ideas for goals!!

Jordan said...

That list could be mine. Your number 1 is my number 1! Isn't great we have blogging to help eachother reach our goals!

Lucy said...

That was awesome, Jenny. Thanks for sharing.

michelle said...

What a great article you found! Thanks for sharing, I bookmarked it to use later. I share many of your goals for 2007, let's hope we can do it!

Anonymous said...

Happy 2007. I loved your post and thanks for sharing the article.