Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What's Next?

I heard somewhere bad things come in three's contrary to this post. However, in saying that I had some minor things occur this week which put a damper on my mood. My car was in desperate need of some love and Doug was so busy with work Saturday, I decided to wash it. It was to the point you couldn't see out the windows. I pulled out my coveted (yes coveted) friend the shop vac. A purchase by the way Doug claimed I didn't need 4 years ago. Would inserting in "I told you so" work this time? I managed to vacuum out the entire car except for the drivers seat when it went caput. I thought it was due to one of my littles pulling a prank, but they were no where to be found. I tried several plugs thinking it was a fluke. Nope, my vacuum died. It was a sad day. Doesn't it know that it was LOVED? It helped me suck up water on my carpet numerous times and grains of sand along with other foreign objects in my car. It also made it so I didn't have a car that looked like this! I really couldn't have expected too much for $19 a few years back, right?
Fast forward to Tuesday and I was returning home from taking the kids to school. I pushed my coveted button (the garage door opener) on my visor and it went half way up and stopped. It wouldn't go back down nor up. Just froze. Doug was still home and I had him come take a peek. He made the executive decision it was broken. And we all know that little parts and such are always more than buying a new one. So you know what I did yesterday with my fun money? I am the proud owner of a new garage door opener and a shop vac. Woo hoo! Aren't you jealous you couldn't spend money on these two items?? Talk about disappointing spending fun money on gadgets you weren't planning on. Now comes the fun part, Doug installing it. Hmmm should be a fun weekend. Hopefully he won't be swearing too much :) I heard they were a blast to install, especially if the temperature of the garage was in the 90's! I can't wait to introduce these guys into the family. Hmm what could be in store for the third bad thing. Oh, the possiblities!! Stay tuned........


good deed: you name it, I took my kid there today I just need that cheery black and yellow checkered sticker and I am official.

23 comments:

Angie said...

Sorry you are having to spend your fun money on things that are breaking on you. It always "pours" when it "rains" around here, too. Hopefully the third thing want be too expensive or something sentimental.

Here's to no more fixin's!!

Michelle Alley said...

That video was hilarious - but oh so true. HOpe your next big spending is on something you want, not have to fix!

Kristy said...

Yeah, not exactly things you hope to spend your fun money on, but next time you pull out the shop vac you'll be happy. That, and who can beat the convenience of being able to pull into your garage?!? Here's to hoping there is no 3 in this sequence!

Jill said...

It's not fun to spend money on those repairs, but it's a blessing that you can replace those items. It's truly awful when something you use all the time dies and can't afford to be fixed.

Liz said...

Oh dear! Not fun! Installing garage door openers is not fun! Ben installed one in our last place. Make sure to bolt it really well, because ours kept partially falling off (imagine that thing falling on your van!!!) until he finally figured out that it needed more support brackets on each side to hold it up.

Hopefully you won't have a "3rd" thing to worry about!!

Lauralee said...

darn it! hopefully there isn't a third waiting to happen.. no fun spending extra money on neccesities...90 degrees.. ugh? that is way too hot for me!

Kelly said...

No fun! That is a big bummer.

I've heard garage doors are definitely not fun to install, and oh so dangerous if not done right. Be careful and good luck!

Tara said...

Jon decided to upgrade our garage door opener a couple of years ago. That involved moving the already installed model to our third bay and then installing the new opener in its place. It was a huge job but he was successful! Good luck to Doug, be prepared for him to be busy with it for quite some time.

So sorry to hear about the unexpected expenses. I hate having to spend money on those sorts of things. We just had to get new brakes for both our cars and new tires on mine. It's just painful spending that much money on maintenance!

Here's to steering clear of a third mechanical mishap!

michelle said...

Darn! It seems like when one thing breaks there is always another right behind it! Hopefully this will be it for a while for you. For your good deed...is that the Sonic sticker?

Tiffanie said...

I absolutely LOVED the video, too funny! I hate spending fun money on replacing things. Hopefully you are done with things breaking, no 3rd thing waiting in the wings.

Melinda said...

I couldn't get yor video to work! ARH. Sorry you had to spend your mad money on non fun things. I think that is always how it goes.

I really enjoyed your spt on your mom. She sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I was being way sarcastic and meant a taxi sticker. :)

Kari said...

Oh bummer! I hate spending my money on stuff like that. The good news is at least you HAD the money to spend on stuff like that and that Doug is likely to be able to fix it for you.

Anna said...

Sorry we don't still live near you...Mark would have come and installed in for Doug! He installed one a few months ago for a friend who's garage door is over 50 years old! It was funny to see how Mark rigged the thing! Only Mark! :)

Lucy said...

It's the evil one trying to thwart your new cash budget! Argh! Seriously, I hate spending money on things that aren't supposed to break like garage door openers and vacuums. Spending money on those things once is enough. We just threw our wet/dry vac out because it smelt like something was burning every time it went on and finally overheated and never came back to life. But they are handy. And I can totally see how you would need one. That really is money well spent for you. It is a cleaning product after all:)

Anonymous said...

Wow Jenny-that stinks! I have learned that no matter how set you think you are-with buying new things or fixing things-there is always something else that breaks! I am sorry that those things happened to you-I am glad you got new ones though:)

Rachel said...

I do sympathize...we've had so many problems with our garage door when we lived in Kansas! And wouldn't you know, I was vacuuming out my van today, got the whole thing done, EXCEPT the driver's seat, and the vacuum died! The vacuum my honey and I bought when we were first married, nearly 10 years ago! So sad...and a very strange coincidence! :)

Laralee Anderson said...

I hate it when I actually save up money for fun and then an emergency comes up. I am glad you got a new vacuum though, I hope you like this one even more than the last one.

andrea said...

Installing a garage door does not sound fun. Hopefully Doug doesn't get too frustrated.

Your post inspired me to vaccuum out my car. It needed it so badly!

Sorry you had to spend your fun money on boring stuff.

Anonymous said...

Crossing my fingers that #3 just skips you right by. Good thing you weren't in the garage when it would only go half way! That is not a fun way to spend your fun money -- sorry!

Elizabeth said...

So sorry you couldn't spend it on something fun. Your shop vac will probably bring you more happiness in the long run though. I am thinking now that I need one of those.

Jana said...

I think one of the worst things that could happen is to have a vacuum break. I hate spending money on things that I already have! Why do things have to break?

carlo said...

eek fun money spent on non-fun just isn't right!

my garage door and opener work about 1/2 the time. we joke that our neighbors have a secret opener that they use to closer our garage door when i am trying to open it b/c the dang thing never works for me...what good is a garage door opener if you have to get out the car, stand right beside it for it to work??? lol

hope your week improved. i am getting caught up today...