Sunday, December 30, 2007

Sunday Funnies


When I was younger I think the Sunday funnies were my favorite part of the paper. Along with cutting out the coupons for my mom. (weird I know--but true) We don't receive a paper anymore and really I don't think it's necessary when you have a house with 4 children.

sibling laughter has the best kind of sound.

Today was a marathon day of video games after church. We broke out the "old school" games and I was in my element trying to remember the secrets to Super Mario Brothers. After dinner we decided enough was enough and told Taylor and Jared it was time to head off to bed. There was a couple of moans and then Jared pulled this out of his head.........


Jared said in a matter of fact tone, "Remember by playing a lot of video games, you can become a great doctor!" He was referring to the study on arthroscopy a few months back. Have you heard of this? I think Doug mentioned it in passing to him (but couldn't remember for sure). He should have known that Jared has an amazing memory. Nothing gets past that kid and you can always count on him throwing a piece of advice back your way. At any rate it gave us a good laugh. As did this:


Today Luke spoke in church. He is our most timid child and rarely does anything in public that you ask him to. He very bravely got up at the pulpit with help from his big sister Taylor. Taylor held up the photos as he did his talk. He spoke very loud and clear into the microphone (I must add he has a typical 4-year old lisp when he talks) I really wish I could have video taped it. One of the lines was "Jesus was born in a stable", but Luke proceeds to say he was "born in a staple." It may not seem funny, but to hear it was. It was very cute. Needless to say, Sunday was definitely full of laughter in our home.


good deed Saturday: wrote my thank-you cards
good deed: played a game with the kids

15 comments:

Kristin said...

It looks like you had a great Christmas!! Have fun in Utah snowboarding. How fun!

I liked clipping coupons for my mom too! ;)

Andrea said...

My Mom always clips some coupons & checks all the dept store ads for sales. We used to get the paper when we were first married. The only thing we looked at were the ads on Sunday, and the funnies. We would read the comics together, then take the ads we each wanted to look at. Then they all became recycle bin worthy. We had to cancel the paper cuz it just stacked up.

I love to hear my kids laughing & all having fun together, too!

I love listening to the young primary talks! They're the BEST! I can't help but giggle sometimes, too. The primary kids are just so dang funny!

Laurie said...

GIving a talk at four years old is very brave. I am impressed. I was SHOCKED a year ago when Primary asked Clayton to give a talk on his FIRST Sunday as a brand-new Sunbeam. I told them no. There was no way. We tried twice later in the year but I ended up giving the talk. Hopefully this next year when he's a CTR 5!

Such a cute sibling photo.

Libby said...

Ok-I'm cracking up about the video games. I totally still have my original Nintendo too-in fact, just yesterday after Jackson was done playing with the Wii, he went into my room to play Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Funny huh? I wonder if you and I are the only 2 people that actually still have the old Nintedo version (and in working order-ha!)

I used to clip out the coupons for the things I thought that we needed for my mom too. I thought it was fun. I also used to read the comics as well. Now, I just look at the ads and skim the coupons. There seems to be a lot more junk now in the coupons. Have a good one!

Ellice said...

So sad I missed the talk.. I'm sure it was adorable.

Your little family is so fun and adorable. Can't wait to see you guys when we get back.

It just keeps snowing here in Utah... I think you are going to have some great snow ;).

carlo said...

oh little ones and the things they say. so cute.

have fun on your big woo date! :)

is it strange that i still like clipping coupons? so does cass

Jen Shumway said...

I bet that was so cute. to watch him say that.

I still cut out coupons. My Braden loves to help he cuts every coupon even the dog food--We don't have a dog

Kelly said...

I can't wait to show my boys that study. Or maybe not. I am always trying to fight the battle of their obsession.

They are also very impressed when I can break out some Mario moves from my younger years.

Quincy missed her first talk while we were on this vacation. Kind of bummed, there will be more I know. They did ask her to pray once and she did, just marched up to the front and prayed. I thought they should have let the sunbeam's mom know she was praying, I would have loved to have been there for her first!

Happy New Year!

Kari said...

Yeah my kids have the same kinds of "selective" memory! But if it's remembering how to do a thorough job when cleaning the bathroom, they somehow forget!! That's nice that you could take his memory about gaming being good for doctor training in such a positive light! Kids are great fun!!

Courtney said...

Way to go Luke! I love to hear the kids talk in church - it's the best!

We don't get the paper either - waste of money as it usually just stacks up and never gets read.

Have a great time in SLC!

Doodle Bugs said...

I used to cut the coupons for my mom too!
I gotta know about this Old school video game that you keep talking about! It sounds really cool! I am not a fan of the new games. Honestly because I don't have the patience or skills to play them but I was a MASTER or Super Mario Brothers !!!

jandnrichards said...

Sounds like you had a good day. I hope you are all having a great new years. Talk to you soon

erika said...

i LOVE those kind of days!!!!

Melinda said...

That is so cute about the talk. It is such a proud moment when they finally have the nerve to give one. That is so cute.

Jill said...

I always loved the funnies in the Sunday Paper too.

It's interesting you should mention that you wished you could video Luke's talk because in primary on Sunday a parent did that! I couldn't believe it, but sure enough she did. Her husband was up front helping her 7 year old give the talk, they had grandparents in the back of the room watching AND the mom stood in the back video taping it. What in the world??