Wednesday, January 09, 2008

SPT-New You Resolution

Stop for a minute and take a self-portrait, a snapshot of you in the here and now. What ARE your dreams and goals for 2008? What is your word? What are you thinking about right now as we plunge head-first into the new year? (just a head's up - we WILL be revisiting these photos throughout the year...)

Throughout my life I have not been the best at keeping my goals. I almost feel like I jinx myself for actually taking the time to jot them down. However, with much guilt and encouragement I am going to give this year another go. Instead of making a long list of the things I would really like to accomplish (which could be endless), I decided to stick with two specific things. I spent all of last year doing a "good deed" each and everyday. Ironically, I find myself continuing to do them, may it be big or small. Do I dare say it has turned into a habit? I am basing another New Year's Resolution off an article I read. This one can be found last general conference. He talked about actually taking the time each day to write down a blessing in your life. The other is focusing on my word of the year. Last year I had one and only touched briefly on the things I wanted to work on. This year my word is LEARN.

We have all heard that the more we learn the more power we have in so many respects. After all, knowledge is power! I am not talking about being a world leader or being an authoritarian, but actually gaining little pieces of information to expand my mind. Even though I am a college graduate I feel like there are SO many things I am clueless about. I think as a mother, I tend to be in that "motherly" mode most of my day and forget about taking time to learn new things. Doug speaks of having a library full of knowledgeable and good reads in our home someday. You know the cherry wood to the ceiling with the wheeling ladder? I really have no excuse we have a bookshelf full of books just sitting and waiting for me. Doug has read everyone, now it's my turn.

Learn to expand my mind
Learn and know the scriptures
Learn it is up to me and me alone!

I really like what April has adopted in her weekly blog entries. She has a new word that she learns and expands on every week. I may have to try this myself. So, I leave you with a quote and a blessing.

yes, I do feel smarter with my spectacles on.


"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing." --Maria Mitchell

Here is to Learning more this 2008!



blessing: talking with my 4 year old at bedtime--learning about his school day through his views.

24 comments:

Laurie said...

Being first to comment is no biggie on my blog, but it is on yours! Love your word. I'm interested in the word a week.

April said...

Yes, yes, yes, join the word of the week! It is really good fun and might even help with your word of the year.

I totally get the "jinx" thing...even today, just one day after saying I'm going to "embrace" my little heart is wanting to be a stone again. But I will persevere.

P.S. your spectacles are fabulous.

Buffy said...

I love the idea of a new word each week. I may have to adopt that. :D Great post. Great word!!

Andrea said...

Excellent WORD!! I was just talking to my son tonight about how he should challenge himself and try to learn as much as he can!

andrea said...

I started keeping a family journal of the Lord's blessings in our family's life after President Eyring's talk. It has completely changed the way I view my life.

Anonymous said...

Excellent word! And your spectacles are very smart.

I like your daily blessing thing, too. I've enjoyed your good deeds throughout the year. No jinx there!

Liz said...

I like your word, and I like your idea of writing down a blessing for each day. I have been thinking alot about that and about gratitude. I guess they could both be the same thing, because I am grateful for things that many times are blessings. I am trying to figure out a way to capture this through photos though. Good luck with your word of the year!! :)

Unknown said...

i always know when you've put on your specs it's going to be an intellectual spt!! i think your word is great for this year - it applies to sooooo many things!

Kari said...

Thanks for inspiring me today, Jenny!!! What a great word!

Lucy said...

Very cool word. I love how you challenge yourself. I think the constant effort to learn something, whether from books, trade or class is an important endeavor. I really look forward to taking occasional classes in a few years when my kids are all in school.

I can't wait for my own wheeling ladder. It's going to be a good time!

Amy said...

Good word! Learning is so important. It helps us look outside of ourselves, keeps our minds young and active, and makes people more interesting.

Our enrichment activity last night was based on that Conf talk. I think it's by Elder Eyring. We made blessing journals out of composition books.

becca said...

I LOVE IT!! What a great word and great goals!! I am with you...I can't make too many goals (even though I need to) or I just feel overwhelmed and give up. This year there are a just a few areas I plan to focus on. Your word is perfect!!

Courtney said...

Genius! You look very smart and committed with the spectacles of LEARNING on! Good for you! I love how paying attention can really help you to see the Lord's hand in your daily life - AMAZING!

Tara said...

Knowledge is Power! Makes me think of Schoolhouse Rock.

That is a great goal. There are always new things to learn. I was reminded of this the other day when Jon learned something new about me. We've been married for over 11 years, think we know each other inside and out, but every now and then learn something new.

Have fun, are you going to keep a daily record like you did with your good deeds?

Mandy said...

that is a great word! I think it's definitely one we should all embrace.

Jen Shumway said...

I love the blessing thing. That is something everyone should do.

Melinda said...

I have thought about learning a new word also! You may have to post what word you chose and it's meaning. THis is a great word and I love that you can use it in all aspects of life.

Doodle Bugs said...

It's funny to hear you say you are not good at keeping goals.

The reason I say that is because I first started checking your blog daily to see what good deads you have done for the day. What a great goal!! I am impressed that not only you did a good deed but you documented it for a whole year!

I really like your word! I still can not decide on one.

Holly said...

Great word! I'll have to look more into the word of the week. You can attach so many meanings to LEARN - I like it!

Michelle Alley said...

I love this word - as it is so wonderful to gain knowledge of things, especially those things that I was ignorant about in the beginning. I love your SPT and all your thoughts on your word of the year! Good Luck!

Barb said...

Great word and focus for this year!

Amy said...

I love how you're always stretching, Jenny. This post was fantastic...and I'm anxious to watch your blessings pile up at the bottom of each post (many will probably coincide with your service habit, I imagine).

I've been thinking about that *motherly* mode in regards to politics lately. I feel so lame that I haven't taken the time to *learn* much of anything about the candidates this election year. I definitely need to get on the ball and stretch myself in that.

donna said...

What a great SPT! I love your word.

carlo said...

oh this is a great word...congrats on your choice.

i am narrowing and need to get moving before it is feb!

:) love the glasses.